Income Tax – Filing IT Returns
Indian Government has taken a big leap in allowing people to submit their IT Returns online which helps people to reduce the amount of time they need to spend in filling the forms ( ITR, Saral etc) to file Tax returns.Here are a few steps which would help you in filling the tax returns online if you don’t want to chase the agents to file your returns. Please do note that the PAN number is required to file your Tax returns.
For account creation,
1) Open the URL EFiling
2) Click on the register and provide the PAN number to proceed.
3) Perform the remaining steps and get your login created for filing IT returns.
Download ITR-1 form:
1) Open the URL – EFiling
3) On the left hand side, if you move the mouse pointer on the text “e-Filing A.Y. 2010-11”, you will see few additional options like Individual, Firms, etc etc.
4) If you are a salaried professional, click on Individual.
5) In the new page, a description is provided for the form you need to download. In the bottom half of the page, you will find “Download Return Preparation Software” table, where you can download the spreadsheet (Excel workbook). Download the appropriate form by clicking on the link “Excel Utility” in the table.
6) The downloaded zip file contains the excel utility.
Filling and submission:
Filling the excel utility can be done with ease. You need to fill-in your basic information. The fields which needs to be filled in with care is detailed below. (Note: Only cells in green should be filled, Text in blue is auto populated)
Income Details – Sheet
1) Employer Category (if in employment) – OTH
2) Designation of Assessing Officer (Ward / Circle) – Find your ward with the help of Jurisdiction finder – Jurisdiction
3) Return filed under section – 11 – u/s 139(1)
4) Whether original or revised return? – Select Original if you are filing for the first time this year. Else select Revised if you have any modifications to be done on your IT filing.
5) Fill the rest of the details from Form-16 (Use all the form-16’s available – current employer, previous employers for the financial year under consideration)
TDS – Sheet
1) Fill all the details from Form – 16 for the item – 23
2) Item – 25 is used in case you have to pay additional tax after calculating the Tax Returns
Taxes Paid and Verification – Sheet
1) Enter the bank account details in case you are getting a refund.
2) Find out the MICR code of the account mentioned (From the cheque book – 09 digit number at the bottom of the cheque leaf)
Calculation and Generation
1) Once the details are filled, Click on validate button.
2) Select the Income Details – Sheet. Click on the “Calculate Tax” button. This will calculate the tax amount from the details filled by you.
3) Select the Taxes Paid and Verification – Sheet, where the rows 6 and 7 ( sub-items 18 and 19 ) would have been re-calculated for you by the utility.
4) If Row – 6 (sub-item 18) is non-zero, then you have to pay additional tax (if you are sure that the details entered by you are correct).
5) Pay the Self-Assessment tax and make entries in TDS-Sheet – Item 25.
6) Select the Income Details – Sheet. Click on the “Calculate Tax” button. This will calculate the tax amount from the details filled by you after payment of Self-Assessment Tax.
7) Select the Taxes Paid and Verification – Sheet, where the rows 6 and 7 ( sub-items 18 and 19 ) would have been re-calculated for you by the utility.
8) If Row – 6 (sub-item 18) is zero, then proceed ahead and click on the “Generate” button.
9) This will generate the XML file to be uploaded into the IncomeTax Website.
10) Login to the website, and select AY 10-11 for uploading the XML file.
11) The website will request the User name (PAN number) and password
12) After logging in, select the form appropriate (the excel utility)
If you do not have digital signature, then select no.
14) If you have selected, ensure that your signature is uploaded.
15) If you have selected no, then you can upload the XML file.
This will generate the ITR-V. This completes the IT-Returns filing process.
In case you do not have a digital signature, print the copies of ITR-V, mail (postal regular mail) it to the address on the ITR-V and you will receive the acknowledgement in the email address specified in the Excel Utility.
The steps are for Information purpose and I would not be responsible for the mistakes committed at your end.